Are you interested in studying at the University of Music and Performing Arts as an Erasmus exchange student?


Then you are welcome to send us your application!


Our Erasmus deadlines are:

1st May for the autumn term
(Application period: 1st February - 1st May)

1st November for the spring term
(Application period: 1st August - 1st November)

Application process

If you are eligible for an Erasmus+ exchange, please apply in accordance with your home university. 

1. You need the following documents:

  • Application Form
  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Transcript of Records
  • Motivation Letter
  • Letter of recommendation
  • Media: at least 3 pieces of different epochs (YouTube, Dropbox etc.)

2. Please ask your International Office to forward your application documents to:

3. After you have received confirmation of the study place, create the Online Learning Agreement (OLA): and have it signed by your home and host university.

For further advice on how to use the OLA, please click here.


Responsible Person (OLA):

Prof. Timothy Sharp

Vice President

Contact Person

Simone Rusch

International Officer 


Selection Procedure

All applications will be presented to the responsible teachers, who will choose the successful applicants.  The most important criteria is the artistic performance shown in the recording (video/audio files). The motivation letter, CV and letter of recommendation will also be considered.


Courses/Study Plan

You are welcome to attend all lectures and seminars. However, it should be noted that knowledge of German (B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) is required for group lessons. For classes such as orchestra, chamber music, choir and one-to-one teaching the language of instruction can be English.

The students in Mannheim do not receive a finished timetable. Therefore, you will have to contact your teachers for single lessons directly and agree on a time. You can find the contact details here.


Orchestra/Chamber Music/Ensemble

Orchestral Studies are usually also taught by your main teacher; Chamber Music or Ensemble need to be arranged either by your teacher or by one of their colleagues.

In order to find the study plans on our homepage, select the menu point „Studienführer“ and then „Studiengänge" . You come to a page where you need to select „Informationen zu den Studiengängen finden Sie hier“. On the next page, the various degree courses are presented in tables. Choose your desired degree course and select „Studienpläne“ at the bottom of the table.

You can find the complete course catalogue („Vorlesungsverzeichnis“) under the menu point „Studienführer“.


Supportive Measures

The International Office will help you with questions regarding your study plan, Visa, accommodation, insurance etc.

You also have the opportunity to join a German language course free of charge.


Please do not hesitate

to contact the International Office ( if you have any questions regarding your Erasmus exchange. We are looking forward to assisting you.




  1. Does the University of Music and Performing Arts Mannheim have student dormitories?
    No. Your first point of contact should be the Studierendenwerk Mannheim. However, there are some student dorms in Mannheim, which are also available for students of the University of Music and Performing Arts. The application for a room in a student dormitory is submitted online through the website of the Studierendenwerk. We are happy to assist you in this matter.
  2. Do I need a special health insurance?
    If you study in Germany, you are required to have health insurance. Without proof of valid health insurance, you will not be able to enrol.

    In most cases, EU nationals have an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) and do not need to take out additional health insurance in Germany. Please present your valid EHIC at enrolment. However, the coverage of the European Health Insurance Card may not be sufficient, in particular where a return transport or specific medical treatments are necessary. For this reason, taking out of supplementary insurance in the home country should be checked before the start of the journey.

    If you are not an EU national and have valid health insurance in your home country covering your stay abroad, you may be exempted from the obligation to take out additional health insurance. Whether all requirements for an exemption are fulfilled will be determined by a representative of a statutory health insurance provider at the place of study. Please bring valid proof of health insurance in German or English. However, we strongly advise exchange students from countries outside of the European Union to take out additional statutory health insurance in Germany. Otherwise, you may have to make very high advance payments in case of illness. Hospitalization in particular can be very expensive (depending on the illness/injury, treatments can cost several thousand euros!). Moreover, it usually takes some time until you are reimbursed by your home health insurance provider, leaving you with the risk of running into financial problems.
    You can take out German statutory insurance after arriving in Germany.

  3. Which documents will I receive after my exchange semester at the University of Music and Performing Arts Mannheim?
    You will receive a Transcript of Records and a Certificate of Attendance. If you need further documents, please contact the International Office.
  4. Do I need a visa?
    As a citizen of an EU member state, you do not need a visa. If you are a citizen of another country, please find out which regulations you have to comply to when entering Germany before you leave your home country.
  5. Does the University of Music and Performing Arts offer German language courses?
    Yes, we offer free German language courses for all international students. There will be a placement test at the beginning of the semester and then you will be assigned to the corresponding course.
  6. What are the first things I have to do when I arrive in Mannheim?
    Please contact the International Office within the first few days of your arrival in Mannheim in order to enrol at the university and to receive some valuable tips.

    In addition, you must register at the Bürgeramt in Mannheim and possibly make an appointment with the Ausländerbehörde (only citizens from non-EU member states).

  7. What do I have to do before I leave Mannheim?
    Please contact the International Office in order to exmatriculate and to receive your Transcript of Records and your Certificate of Attendance. Do not forget to de-register from the Citizens‘ Office.
  8. Is proof of health insurance required for enrollment?
    For enrolment, proof of health insurance with a statutory health insurance fund or an exemption from compulsory insurance is mandatory.

    If you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or are privately insured, then you must obtain an exemption from a statutory health insurance and request “Meldegrund 10”.

    Please note: We strongly recommend that students from non-EU countries take out statutory German health insurance. Otherwise, you will have to pay for your doctor's and hospital bills yourself and it may take a long time for the insurance company in your home country to reimburse you. In addition, the statutory health insurance companies will decide whether you can be exempted on the basis of your private insurance documents. This is not always the case.

    For exemption or membership, please contact one of the statutory health insurers by e-mail as soon as you have received your registration papers.

    You can also obtain even more information on the subject of health insurance under the following link:

Erasmus Charter for Higher Education

Erasmus Policy Statement of the University of Music and Performing Arts Mannheim (en)